Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, The Mentalist, and Person of Interest

Second day of blogging and I already intend to tweak my ideas of what to review. I guess I could add "TV" to my description line up top, but my laziness disagrees. I have been catching up on the TV I missed last week during exam times. The only ones I follow consistently are list above: How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, The Mentalist, and Person of Interest.


The first two most likely don't require any introduction; I just like the pure simple comedy. HIMYM fulfills the relationship comedy without too much drama (discounting recent episodes), and Big Bang Theory hits my nerdy funny bone.


Person of Interest may need some explaining. The setting is that there is a supercomputer program that monitors all electronic transmissions within the U.S. to flag any crimes from normal homicide to terrorist threats. The government is only interested in the terrorist plots, so the main characters Finch and Reese decide to become anonymous vigilantes that deal with the small crimes. The mystery aspect of it is that Finch, the man who built the machine, is only accessing the machine through a backdoor that gives him social security numbers of people related to the future crime. The person can be a victim or a perpetrator. Finch is the super hacker billionaire that is always by a computer, and supports Reese's operations. Reese is a retired-presumed-dead-yet-still-very-deadly CIA super spy with Jason Bourne like skills. Finch ropes in Reese,as the muscle to stalk the people of interest and resolve the crimes. Almost all episodes have them force clone hacking into a person's phone to listen in on conversations while Reese keeps in touch on a complicated conference call with Finch via a Bluetooth headset. The city of New York, where this is set, has monitoring cameras, corrupt cops, and violent gangs everywhere. Reese usually busts heads and confidently raids crime nests without breaking a sweat. All in all, its a pretty formulaic show but the duo is very entertaining to watch in a grim humor kind of way. Also Reese played by Jim Caviezel sounds like he's talking like Batman all the time.
Omake: For anyone reads the "To Aru Majutsu no Index" light novels, the video surveillance scenes are pretty similar to the Free Compound Eyes (FCE) program described in New Testament Volume 3.

Mentalist is the one of the only crime mystery shows on television that I approve of. One major reason is that it does not make the police out to be complete idiots. I really cannot like shows like Psych, Dexter or Criminal Minds because they portray the police force in a very very negative light. Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) is forever entertaining to watch as his every action exudes meaning in entertaining the audience. As a self admitted fake psychic, he possesses immense observational and deductive skills that I am soooo envious of. He is portrayed pretty much like a modern day Sherlock Holmes but a little more emo at times.

I guess, in the future, I will be grouping reviews together also. It makes more sense in seeing how much stuff I watch in a day.

Also,
Happy National Chocolate Day to all.
Forever Alone...sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment